Howdy Dragon Ball fans, it’s been a while since Dragon Ball Super went on hiatus and fans have been waiting for Dragon Ball Super 2 every since. Dragon Ball series is quite popular all around the globe. Which makes it the series with the highest number of fans all across the board. There has been various news stating Dragon Ball Super Continuation. However, all of the news was denied by TOEI animation. Everything you need to know about Dragon ball franchise and the upcoming continuation is in this article.
After the unbelievable plot twists and nail-biting fight scenes, Dragon Ball Super’s Tournament of Power arc left us amazed. Unfortunately, the series went on a hiatus ever since and fans are wholeheartedly waiting to welcome the continuation. But there’s no such confirmation coming from the studio yet. Considering the popularity of the show, and how Goku always found a way to get the show started again. Dragon Ball Super 2 will definitely air in the future.
While there have been no official reasons coming from the studio, here are some fair dinkum possibilities-
Why did DBS end/go on a Break?
There are various articles. tweets and leaks on the internet regarding Why did Dragon Ball Super end? After going through all of them, these were possibly the most legitimate reasons for the decision to take a break-
- One of the most possible reason could be, One Piece. Yes, you read it right! One Piece: Stampede is also a part of TOEI Animation. While the One Piece: Stampede was in works at the same time, also, the One Piece anime is always Ongoing so there was a sheer need of new but experienced staff who could work for the movie while the series was kept ongoing. Hence, resulting in the Dragon Ball super staff working for the One Piece movie.
- Another important reason is the Dragon Ball manga. While the Tournament of Arc was quite popular and fans were enthusiastically waiting to watch more, the manga was overlooked. Yes, there was a huge time gap between the story of the manga and of anime. If you are a Dragon Ball manga reader, you’ll know how manga story is slightly different than that of anime.
- Dragon Ball Super English dub was far behind the subbed version. Instead of waiting for the series to get English-dubbed, fans started to go for the original version(Japanese) of the show. Resulting in a huge loss for the production house responsible for the English dub. (I used to watch the series in its original voice without subtitles so I could watch it before everyone else and know what’s going within the series)
- The recent Dragon Ball movie(Broly) is a reason fair enough, as well. While the show was at its climax, the studio needed staff to work on the movie as well. Resulting in them taking a break for the anime and animating the movie.
There were other rumors as well which included- low budget, fewer staff members/animators, etc. But considering the popularity and fan following of TOEI animation, no one would go with these.
How Dragon Ball: Broly will have an Impact on anime continuation?
Dragon Ball Super: Broly Plot (Spoilers not Included): The first half of the movie is mostly about the history of the Saiyans. The movie does a decent depiction of the history of the Saiyans. The past is mostly based on “DB Minus” with a few scenes from the “Bardock: The Father of Goku”. The plot revolves around Broly, a Saiyan with a really high potential born on Planet Vegeta.
King Vegeta was jealous of Broly’s hidden potential resulting in him sending away baby Broly to a faraway planet called, “Vampa”. Paragus(Father of Broly) being betrayed by The King, vowed to find his son and one day get revenge on the king. The movie explains the ties of fate between Goku, Vegeta, and Broly. The present section of the movie takes place after “The Tournament of Power arc”.
Impact on Dragon Ball Super 2: As of 23 March 2019, Dragon Ball Super: Broly has grossed over 116.5 million dollars. Why this matter? I will tell you.
The series and the movie are coming from the same production house and creator. And, if the revenue is good enough, you can definitely expect more of the same. The movie has made more than enough of an amount to get a second season for DBS.
When will Dragon Ball Super 2 Continuation Air?
Previously, I mentioned a few possible reasons on Why did Dragon Ball Super end/go on a break? I will use them as a reference to explain things now.
- As for the One Piece: Stampede, the movie is already on big screens since August 1, 2019. So, the staff that was working on the movie is not occupied with any other work. So, it’s possible to have them animate the continuation of the series. One Piece: Stampede as of 8 September 2019, has made over 47 million dollars worldwide.
- Dragon Ball manga was way behind the series when the anime was ongoing. However, that’s not the case now. The manga has already covered up the Tournament of Arc now and there have been various distinctions in manga and anime’s plot. As of now, the Dragon Ball manga is in Chapter 54 and currently covering up the Galactic Patrol prisoner saga arc.
- Dragon Ball Super aired its English dub on Adult Swim during the Toonami programming block Saturday evenings at 11:00 p.m. The last episode of the series(dubbed) was aired on October 5, 2019. This means the production house can now look forward to airing both the episodes on the same date.
- Any work on Broly movie is out of syllabus, and the movie has made quite a decent earning on big screens. So, we can expect great animation and satisfactory character designs for Dragon Ball Super 2.
Now, all major reasons are out of the syllabus. So, the series’ continuation can be expected. Moreover, there are still various things left for Dragon Ball Super 2 that it needs to cover-
- The past of God of Destructions
- How Zeno is omnipotent.
- Vegeta visiting Planet Sadala, Universe 6.
- Jiren and Goku sparring again.
- Uub arc.
- and, at last, Manga’s plot. The storyline of the manga is still ongoing, the anime definitely needs to cover that.
Challenges for the new series-
It may sound absurd to some of the fans, but still, there are a few challenges the staff needs to face. Undoubtedly, the continuation of the series, i.e, Dragon Ball Super 2 is possible. However, there’s a project staff needs to focus on.
Also read- Haikyuu Season 4 Release Date and Updates!
Dragon Ball new Movie.
The title for this movie is still not affirmed, nor is the release date but the staff has confirmed that a new Dragon Ball movie is under production. Additionally, the Japanese DVD of Dragon Ball Super: Broly contains a Booklet interview with the head of TOEI’s Dragon Ball, Akiyo Iyoku. According to Akiyo, “the staff is steadily making preparations for the next Dragon Ball movie, and it will be in a completely different direction. I think Dragon Ball will continue from here on out so we want you all to look know forward to what’s coming up next!”.
He later on added, the Dragon Ball Super’s new movie will be even more incredible. And currently, the movie is in works. The release date for the upcoming movie is yet to come.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly Trailer:
The trailer for Dragon Ball’s new movie is yet to come. However, check out the English dubbed trailer for Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
Dragon Ball Super 2 Release Date and Updates!
Lately, there have been various rumors confirming the release date of Dragon Ball Super Season 2. Previously, there was also a statement coming from Newsweek that confirmed the production of the continuation. However, the staff marked this confirmation as fake. Furthermore, they also confirmed that there is no production of Dragon ball super second season, as of now.
Recently, the official Japanese voice actor of Vegeta posted a tweet-
Here is the translation of @ryohorikawa 's tweet.
A continuation of Dragon Ball series or a new Dragon Ball movie. What do you think? #DragonBall #DragonBallSuper #animenews pic.twitter.com/ILAJd7w2LH
— TheSpoilerGuy (@guy_spoiler) November 28, 2019
He says, “I just came out of a meeting at TOEI Animation!! But I won’t tell you what it is.”
The studio has already confirmed the movie’s production already, so if he were assigned a role in the movie, he’s allowed to share that in public. And, if he’s not revealing any major information then it is quite possible to expect that meetings on Dragon Ball Super 2 have already started. It’s a matter of time until the staff actually announce more of the same.
As of now, there’s no official confirmation coming from the studio or the producer regarding Dragon Ball Super 2 release date. However, we believe the series might make an appearance after the release of Dragon Ball’s new movie.
The anime aired its last episode(Japanese) in March 2018. And it’s been almost 2 years since the anime went on hiatus. Most probably, the anime might air its continuation in the late 2020s.
There are no such updates coming from the anime yet. However, an announcement regarding the poster and key visuals of Dragon Ball’s new movie is supposed to hit the internet soon.
Where to Watch Dragon Ball Super 2?
The anime, Dragon Ball Super was exclusively available on Crunchyroll. You can expect the same for the continuation. Click here to read about Best Anime Streaming Websites.
Thanks for reading!